15412Re: [ANE-2] Qeiyafa inscription 2

  • Brian Colless
    Jul 13, 2014
      I have now been told that there is indeed a seven-letter inscription on a pot, hiding in the bushes, biding its time, either waiting to pounce, or hoping we will forget about it.

      Is there something about it that would frighten the horses?

      Maybe it has the same inscription as the Jerusalem Pithos fragments.

      Or it is a LMLK inscription that actually names the king, and it is not David?

      Perhaps it supports Israel Finkelstein's resurrecting of King Saul, and his raising of his Low Chronology (in The Forgotten Kingdom), and possibly it affects Yosef Garfinkel's version of the High Chronology, which puts Khirbet Qeiyafa (plausibly identified with Sha`arayim)  in the time  of King David.

      Sha`arayim is listed among the towns of the tribe of Judah in Joshua 15:36, and so is Ekron (15.45; 13.3 has Ekron as one of the 5 Philistine cities, including Gath).

      This fortress was certainly a surprise, as there is no hint of it in 1 Samuel 17, where we would be led to assume that King Saul had a tent, like the rest of his army.

      My thought is that the settlement (Khirbet Qeiyafa = Sha`arayim) was built by King Saul to protect the road that ran to Gath (cp. 1 Sam 17:52, where the Philistines were pursued along the way from Sha`arayim to Gath and Ekron), and it was destroyed when the Philistines overthrew Saul (1 Sam 31). Thus it was not in existence during the reign of David.

      I have constructed this hypothesis on the basis of what I think I can see in the text of the Qeiyafa Ostracon, but my reading has been judged to be as hypothetical as all the other attempts. I also have to relate it to  this neo-syllabary concept I have recently stumbled on, or over. I want to see whether the other Qeiyafa inscription can assist in testing my hypothesis, that the alphabetic letters had three syllabic forms at this time. So it is not ready for publication in a concrete setting, just work in progress on the web.

      Brian Colless
      Massey University, Aotearoa/ New Zealand

      On 8/07/2014, at 4:09 PM, Brian Colless briancolless@... [ANE-2] wrote:

      We all know about the Qeiyafa Ostracon, found in the fortress (Sha`arayim) overlooking the Elah Valley where a shepherd-boy slew a giant.

      But another inscription was found there; reportedly not as extensive (only one word?), and it was promised for release or publication in 2013.

      Does anyone know what has happened to it? Any hints about its content?

    • Show all 20 messages in this topic