15237Re: [ANE-2] Late writing on clay.

  • Cynthia Jean
    Nov 12, 2013
      For an overview on Aramaic tablets from the Neo-Assyrian period, please check M. Fales's articles:

      (Fales 2000) “The Use and Function of Aramaic Tablets”, in G. Bunnens (ed.), Essays on Syria in the Iron Age, Louvain _ Paris _ Sterling (Va.), pp. 89-124.
      and
      (Fales 2007) Multilingualism on multiple media in the Neo-Assyrian period: a review of the evidence, SAAB 16 (2007) - available on Academia.edu

      Cynthia Jean
      Université Libre de Bruxelles
      cjean@...

      On Friday, 8 November 2013, 14:31, Robert M Whiting <whiting@...> wrote:

      Several clay tablets inscribed in Old Aramaic were discovered at Tell
      Shioukh Fawqani in Syria in 1995. See Mario Fales, An Aramaic Tablet from
      Tell Shioukh Fawqani (Syria), Semitica 46, 1996, pp. 81-121

      Bob Whiting
      whiting@...

      On Fri, 8 Nov 2013, Miguel Valério wrote:

      > Dear all,
      >
      > In the literature (e.g. Geller 1997, ?The Last Wedge?) it is usually mentioned
      > that the latest datable logo-syllabic cuneiform tablet is from 75 CE. Geller
      > also mentions the small group of ?Graeco-Babyloniaca? clay tablets of debated
      > chronology (3rd century CE?), written in cuneiform in the obverse and
      > transliterated to Greek in the reverse, and an Ashmolean unprovenanced
      > tablet written only in Greek (dated paleographically to c. 300 CE).
      > I am wondering, however, if in the case of Anatolia and Syria / Northern
      > Mesopotamia we have cases of survival of writing on clay in the second half
      > of the 1st millennium BCE or later, in non-syllabic scripts. Were, for
      > example, the Aramaic and Syriac alphabets (or other scripts related to them)
      > ever written on clay?
      > I am aware of the Aramaic incantation from Hellenistic Uruk on a clay
      > tablet, which is inscribed in the cuneiform logo-syllabary (once again, an
      > example of how script and support usually go hand in hand...).
      >
      > Many thanks in advance for any information.
      >
      > With best regards,
      > Miguel Valério

    • Show all 4 messages in this topic