15233Late writing on clay.

  • Miguel Valério
    Nov 8, 2013
      Dear all,

      In the literature (e.g. Geller 1997, “The Last Wedge”) it is usually mentioned that the latest datable logo-syllabic cuneiform tablet is from 75 CE. Geller also mentions the small group of “Graeco-Babyloniaca” clay tablets of debated chronology (3rd century CE?), written in cuneiform in the obverse and transliterated to Greek in the reverse, and an Ashmolean unprovenanced tablet written only in Greek (dated paleographically to c. 300 CE).
      I am wondering, however, if in the case of Anatolia and Syria / Northern Mesopotamia we have cases of survival of writing on clay in the second half of the 1st millennium BCE or later, in non-syllabic scripts. Were, for example, the Aramaic and Syriac alphabets (or other scripts related to them) ever written on clay?
      I am aware of the Aramaic incantation from Hellenistic Uruk on a clay tablet, which is inscribed in the cuneiform logo-syllabary (once again, an example of how script and support usually go hand in hand...).

      Many thanks in advance for any information.

      With best regards,
      Miguel Valério
    • Show all 4 messages in this topic