15191Robbing the Cradle of Civilization - a Symposium at the Royal Ontario Museum

  • societystudyegyptianantiquities
    Oct 3, 2013

      Robbing the Cradle of Civilization:
      Iraq's Cultural Heritage Under Fire

      Through eyewitness accounts, thoughtful debate and informed discussion, our panel of professors, archaeologists, lawyers, and historians explore recent events in Iraq, Syria, and other parts of what was ancient Mesopotamia. Together they will help us understand what happened in Iraq, and how we can act differently in the future to protect our irreplaceable archaeological record.

      Saturday October 19

      7:00 PM - 8:30 PM
      Keynote event: The Looting of the Iraq Museum: A Conversation with Col. Matthew Bogdanos and Prof. McGuire Gibson

      What really happened during the devastating museum lootings in Iraq? How much has been recovered? What is the situation today? At this keynote event you will hear from two principal players in the decade-long struggle to protect and restore Iraq's archaeological heritage.

      Sunday October 20 - Day 2
      11:00 AM - 4:00 PM

      Robbing The Cradle of Civilization: Preserving the Art and Archaeology of Ancient Mesopotamia

      Speakers:
      Lawrence Rothfield, Associate Professor of English and Comparative Literature, University of Chicago / Faculty Director, Cultural Policy Center.
      John CurtisKeeper of Middle East Collections at the British Museum.
      Patty GerstenblithFounding president of the Lawyer’s Committee for Cultural Heritage Preservation, research professor and director of the of the Center for Art, Museum and Cultural Heritage Law at DePaul University College of Law in Chicago
      Morag KerselAssistant Professor of Anthropology, DePaul University.

      FOR TICKETS AND INFORMATION
      http://www.rom.on.ca/en/activities-programs/events-calendar/mesopotamia-symposium

      L. Green/E. Kerr
      circulated as a courtesy to the event organizers at the Royal Ontario Museum, Toronto, Canada
      email programs@... for more information