      From: ANE-2@yahoogroups.com [ANE-2@yahoogroups.com] on behalf of Joe Zias [joezias@...]
      Sent: Saturday, August 24, 2013 3:57 AM
      To: ANE-2@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: Re: [ANE-2] squeezes of inscriptions

      While working on the inscriptions atop the so called tomb of Absalom here in Jerusalem, we tried using paper towels, toilet paper and finally settled on filter paper, the thinner the better. Must be layer upon layer and the best method we found to 'beat' the paper into the lettering was a semi-stiff toilet brush with a flexible handle and plastic bristles. Large sheets of filter paper can be found in most stores which sell lab materials.

      If the inscription is heavily pitted, as was the tomb of Absalom, only by using a squeeze is it legible.

      Joe Zias www.joezias.org

      Anthropology/Paleopathology/Guide

      Science and Antiquity - Jerusalem
      Jerusalem, Israel