15028Re: [ANE-2] Hurrian logograms.

  • alf-redu-nirari
    Jul 16 3:38 AM
      Dear Miguel,

      Many languages of the ANE did not make extensive use of logograms, in
      Hattusa this is true for Hattic, Palaic, Luvian and obviously Hurrian.
      While I regret I do not know specific literature on the question, I
      remember to have been taught that such scarsity was due to some sort of
      performative pressure: a logogoram might hide the correct reading in the
      intended language, a correct reading that could have been important for
      the correct performance of rituals and in general to distinguish a
      tradition.

      You probably know already these two titles, but in any case:

      Weeden M./, Hittite Logograms and Hittite Scholarship /, (StBoT 54
      <http://www.hethport.uni-wuerzburg.de/hetbib/abkabfr.php?ori=www.hethport.uni-wuerzburg.de&tbl=hetbib&s=StBoT>)
      Wiesbaden .
      Weeden M./, Adapting to new contexts: cuneiform in Anatolia/, in: Oxford
      Handbook of Cuneiform
      <http://www.hethport.uni-wuerzburg.de/hetbib/abkabfr.php?ori=www.hethport.uni-wuerzburg.de&tbl=hetbib&s=Oxford%20Handbook%20of%20Cuneiform>Culture
      597-617.

      al the best

      Alfredo Rizza
      Dip. Filologia, Letteratura e LInguistica, UniversitĂ  di Verona