      From: Jgibson <jgibson000@...<mailto:jgibson000@...>>
      Date: Thursday, 30 May 2013 4:55 AM
      To: ANE-2 <ANE-2@yahoogroups.com<mailto:ANE-2@yahoogroups.com>>
      Subject: [ANE-2] Constantine and Ardashir (slightly OT)

      I have just come across a claim on another website I read that
      Constantine's inspiration "to bind together" the Roman Empire into a
      centralised [sic] monotheistic state" via the promotion of Christianity
      was what went on in the Sassanid Empire under Ardashir" via his
      promotion of Zoroastrianism, with Eusebius taking the role in
      Constantine's program that the priest Tanzar had under Ardashir.

      Now it seems to me that the claimant is working from three questionable
      assumptions: First, that Constantine was intent to (and did) establish
      a centralized monotheistic state, and second, that Ardashir was not only
      also intent to do the same thing, but was successful in doing so, and
      that Constantine he knew what went on in Sassanid Persian regime under
      Ardashir.

      Would anyone care to comment upon the validity of this claim and/or the
      assumptions behind it?

      Jeffrey

      --
      ---