14808Re: [ANE-2] Article request

  • Brian Colless
    Mar 27, 2013
      > J.A. Thompson, "The Near Eastern Suzerain-Vassal Concept in the
      > Religion of Israel", Journal of Religious History, vol. 3, issue 1,
      > pp. 1-19, June 1964

      May I put in a tender reminiscence: John Arthur Thompson (1913-2002)
      was my teacher of Hebrew, Aramaic, and Akkadian in Sydney and Melbourne.

      In 1960-63 he was not available to me except by mail; he was doing his
      doctorate (aged 50) at Cambridge University on:

      The vocabulary of covenant in the Old Testament

      I did read it, and it inspired me to do a similar thesis (MA,
      Melbourne, 1965): Yahweh Hammoreh: A Study of the Divine Educator
      Figure in the Religion of Israel.

      Divine Education. Numen 17, 2 (1970) 118-142

      My interest in roles assigned to gods and kings led to this:

      Ancient Afro-Asian Kingship Roles
      Patterns of Kingship and Authority in Traditional Asia, 131-157
      Edited by Ian Mabbett. Croom Helm, London, 1985

      Of course, it was George Mendenhall who started it by connecting the
      covenants of Yahweh the Divine King with the ANE suzerain-vassal
      treaties.
      Some scholars seem to think this is old-fashioned, but I can still see
      the relevance of it.

      And Mendenhall really did "decipher" the logo-syllabic tablets from
      Gubla/Byblos, and I have applied his results to inscriptions from all
      over the Mediterranean region, and beyond (Norway, Jamaica).

      http://cryptcracker.blogspot.co.nz/2012/05/phoenician-bronze-cup-in-jamaica-below.html

      Brian Colless
      Research Associate
      School of Humanities