14791Re: [ANE-2] Zoroastrianism and its influence on Jewish thought

  • Judith Lerner
    Mar 16 4:10 PM
      I'm not sure what you mean by "Jewish thought," but there exists a robust literature and on-going discussion about the interactions between Judaism and Zoroastrianism, especially regarding the Babylonian Talmud. I'm preparing for a conference now and have no time to cite specifics, but, for starters, see the publications of Shaul Shaked; Yaakov Elman; Geoffrey Herman; and Shai Secunda via a Google search or Academia.edu where publication lists and some actual articles are posted. See, too, the conference proceedings of "Talmud in its Iranian Context," eds. C. Bakhos and R. Shayegan (Mohr Siebeck, 2010). If you contact me off-list in another week with what you've found, perhaps I can supplement it.

      You may also wish to post your query to Iranian-studies@yahoogroups.com and SASAN-L@yahoogroups.com.
      ______
      Judith Lerner, PhD
      Research Associate
      Institute for the Study of the Ancient World
      New York University
      15 East 84 Street
      New York, NY 10028