      Fra: ANE-2@yahoogroups.com [mailto:ANE-2@yahoogroups.com] På vegne af Peter T. Daniels
      Sendt: den 3 mars 2013 16:32
      Til: ANE-2@yahoogroups.com
      Emne: Re: SV: [ANE-2] emic/etic

      As I said, "The usual use in social anthropology" would not be a helpful answer.

      That business about "what informer tells you" vs. "what you think yourself" has nothing whatsoever to do with the original lingusitic sense (and I do not see how it can be derived from it), nor with the detachment from the root "phon-" that was used by the linguistic theoretician Kenneth Pike at least since the early 1950s. (Many -eme words were devised by Baudouin de Courtenay more than half a century before that.)

      If you meant "we don't know what the folks we call Philistines called themselves," that's what you should have said.

      Jersey City