14644Re: FW: [agade] SAD NEWS: Victor Avigdor Hurowitz (1948-2013)

  • aren
    Jan 21, 2013
      I had the honor, and pleasure, of studying first year Akkadian at HU under the late Avigdor (Victor) Hurowitz z"l.

      Many "Shumma Awilum"s we studied, accompanied by Avigdor's funny comments and interesting observations. He even once reprimanded me for eating the library...

      I will always remember Avigdor with his kippa (skullcap) with cuneiform written on it (I don't remember what it said), and that he ALWAYS boasted that he was one of the few people in the world who could converse fluently in Akkadian!

      Since my years as a student we've been in touch, and I've always admired his scholarship, humor and collegiality!

      Yehi Zichro Baruch!

      Aren Maeir
    • Show all 5 messages in this topic