14630Re: [ANE-2] Re: Various Hellenic Toponyms

  • Joachim Friedrich Quack
    Jan 6, 2013
      Am 05.01.2013 19:18, schrieb Jon Smyth:

      > Thankyou for the Hau-nebu reference Dr. Quack, much appreciated.
      >
      > I do always find it interesting that when Keftiu and Asy have been
      > enumerated in pharaonic conquest lists among such names as Naharin,
      > Khatti, Ugarit and Kadesh, etc., it is felt necessary to look for
      > arguments to try disassociate Keftiu and Asy from the group.
      > Certainly, Thutmosis is not trying to claim conquest over the island
      > of Crete.
      >
      > We do know that Keftiu was located circa. 4th century BCE on the
      > Phoenecian coast. We also know that over the Lebanon mnts. to the
      > east, runs the Asy(Isy) river, today called Orontes, and locally it
      > still retains its ancient name. Keftiu & Asy were in close proximity
      > to each other, as suggested in the list ascribed to Thutmosis III
      > where he comes to conquer "the west", which was Amurru.
      >
      > As we know, Amurru was bordered on the west by the Med. and to the
      > north and east by the curvature of the Orontes (Asy).
      >
      > I appreciate that you feel a unanimous conclusion can be reached but
      > in the face of a complete lack of verification in the ancient world,
      > any conclusion which attempts to remove Keftiu & Asy from Amurru must
      > still be debatable.
      >
      > Kind regards, Jon Smyth
      > Kitchener, Ont.

      Dear Mr Smyth,

      Please read the details in the articles I mentioned; and check the
      totallity of attestations for kftiw a bit more in detail.
      If an Egyptian sources speaks of the 'west' (as see from Egypt),
      obviously it does not referr to the region of the Levant.
      Which specific 'list' of Thutmosis III do you have in mind? If it is (as
      I suspect) the 'poetic stele' (Urk. IV 616, 2), then you should really
      check in more detail. The text is not a conquest list; it is a highly
      poetic claim of universal awe before the pharaoh. It covers all regions
      within reach of Egypt (e.g. also Libya). Keftiu and Isy are the only
      toponyms indicated there for the 'West land'.

      Yours,

      Joachim Quack