14629Re: Various Hellenic Toponyms

  • Jon Smyth
    Jan 5, 2013
      Thankyou for the Hau-nebu reference Dr. Quack, much appreciated.

      I do always find it interesting that when Keftiu and Asy have been enumerated in pharaonic conquest lists among such names as Naharin, Khatti, Ugarit and Kadesh, etc., it is felt necessary to look for arguments to try disassociate Keftiu and Asy from the group.
      Certainly, Thutmosis is not trying to claim conquest over the island of Crete.

      We do know that Keftiu was located circa. 4th century BCE on the Phoenecian coast. We also know that over the Lebanon mnts. to the east, runs the Asy(Isy) river, today called Orontes, and locally it still retains its ancient name. Keftiu & Asy were in close proximity to each other, as suggested in the list ascribed to Thutmosis III where he comes to conquer "the west", which was Amurru.

      As we know, Amurru was bordered on the west by the Med. and to the north and east by the curvature of the Orontes (Asy).

      I appreciate that you feel a unanimous conclusion can be reached but in the face of a complete lack of verification in the ancient world, any conclusion which attempts to remove Keftiu & Asy from Amurru must still be debatable.

      Kind regards, Jon Smyth
      Kitchener, Ont.