14602Re: [ANE-2] Archaeology of salvation

  • Daniel Grolin
    Dec 12, 2012
      Dear Thomas,
      I should clarify. I am not trying to
      develop a history of ideas, in the sense of looking at luminaries or people of prominence
      who articulated specific views. I am trying to locate shifts in shared
      assumptions that made it possible for people to discuss “salvation”, to agree
      or disagree about conclusions. For example, various schools of thoughts might
      disagree about whether man has “free will”, but before they can discuss whether
      man is so endowed there has to be some shared assumption, something that makes
      it possible to speak about “free will” at all. Perhaps, a new sort of social
      freedom that makes it possible to formulate an ontological/cosmological
      freedom. This is what I am looking for and that is why it is not sufficient merely
      to find different opinions, be it in school of thought or a cultural setting. I
      am not looking for who first came up with personal salvation, I am trying to
      find out why someone came up with personal salvation. I am looking for that
      because once I can see the various turns I will (hopefully) be able to
      understand where each text belongs and how it says what it says in its
      particular discourse.
      Jeffrey. I have looked at a few dictionary
      entries, but unfortunately they don’t really correlate in a manner helpful to a
      post-structuralist endeavor. I will try to look through some of your
      references, but I am really hoping that someone will be able to identify a
      study or studies that do precisely what I am looking for.
      Warm regards,
      Daniel Grolin
      Århus (no institutional affiliation)