14545Re: [ANE-2] On the Historicity of Troy

  • Thomas Verenna
    Oct 22, 2012
      This is quite profound. The question is not whether we can trace the Iliad
      back to the historical kernel. That, I believe, starts with a
      presupposition (i.e., that we have knowledge of such a kernel--which we do
      not, by the way, have; we may never have it). Instead you have to go where
      the evidence goes. I do not believe we can say, for example, that the
      flood story of Deucalion and Pyrrha is rooted in history. Like the other
      flood narratives we see, they carry with them an edifying narrative that
      was most likely more important to the ancient cultures who took from them
      and fabricated from them whole new narratives that reflected their own
      cultural situations. It is unlikely, for example, that the flood of Noah
      is history (it doesn't flood in Palestine) but it is equally unlikely that
      such a story would have any use to a culture of that region for the same
      reason we might say it didn't originate there. So there are other reasons
      why such a story is useful, and the flood is just an example of such a
      reason (in this case, god's divine judgement upon his creation, granting a
      second chance to his chosen people--those who follow the straight path,
      i.e., the Israelites according to the Biblical narratives). I believe the
      same is true of the Iliad. With literature, where certain tropes and
      motifs come from may have been from a mixture of ancient events--some from
      as far away as Mesopotamia and others more locally rooted. One may find
      some day that the origins of the Trojan war best reflect the real
      historical wars that took place locally between competing poleis rather
      than something that happened across the Aegean. But that is the crux of it
      all, isn't it? And that is why I remain skeptical about the claims made
      about this settlement in Hisarlik.

      Thanks,

      Thomas Verenna
      Rutgers, New Brunswick