      From: ANE-2@yahoogroups.com [mailto:ANE-2@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Michael Banyai
      Sent: Monday, October 22, 2012 9:07 AM
      To: ANE-2@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: AW: [ANE-2] On the Historicity of Troy (with address)

      Dear Verenna,

      we cannot be sure about anything concerning the bigger sites in the ANE. At least not if we take an excavation of 1/5 as insufficient to make a statement pertaining to the dimension of a site despite surveys completing the archaeological data.

      1/5 of a site excavated could look as relatively little but is huge when compared to the percentage of excavated areal at other big sites. The least sites of comparable dimensions or even bigger have been excavated to 20%. This is very much in reality. Besides, we must differentiate also concerning the depth to which areals are inspected archaeologically.

      Concerning whether this was Homers Troy – this is the wrong question. It is for sure Homers Troy, if you mean the site wearing the name Troy in the 8th century as Homer composed his epos. Going a bit farther with your question– whether the site by the name Troy in the 8th century had the same name in the 13th century – this is a little more difficult to specify.

      I would personally answer this question affirmatively, but not on grounds of the research done already on the subject, but instead on grounds of research that will be published in the near future. I´m into that subject and this must be regarded just as a private view till going to press. It is huge work to be done with the Hittite archives of the period – many documents relevant to the Ahhijawa dossier are still misunderstood and misdated.

      Best regards,

      Michael Banyai