14540Re: SV: [ANE-2] On the Historicity of Troy

  • Thomas Verenna
    Oct 22, 2012
      Good morning,

      Thanks for your note. There is no need to get defensive, I am again just
      asking questions to get a better understanding of how one draws historical
      conclusions from cultural memory. It makes little sense to me to claim
      that someone has ignored or neglected evidence when only 1/5 of a site has
      been excavated. I am not giving anyone a free pass here--if Hertel has
      purposefully left out evidence of something, then by all means provide us
      evidence of such a misstep. So far I have seen you make a lot of personal
      claims about motive, but I haven't seen it demonstrated--which concerns me
      greatly (even though I am only an amateur, so I imagine this may concern
      the more learned amongst us even more than it bothers me).

      Thanks for responding.

      Thomas Verenna
      Rutgers, New Brunswick

      On Thu, Oct 18, 2012 at 9:07 AM, Jean-Fabrice Nardelli <
      jnardellis36@...> wrote:

      > **
      >

      > Dear T. Verenna,
      >
      > the difference you point out would impress me more had Hertel not
      > conveniently deleted important contributions that weaken his own case :
      > this is what I call 'partisan scholarship'. Nothing more, nothing less.
      > As for the remainder of your message, I am basically in agreement with
      > its arguments, though you appear to be somewhat more strident than a
      > layman who cites only derivative scholarship has any right to be and
      > though the way you phrase things smacks of old-style skepticism � la
      > Finley, a man who was ridiculed by philologists in Germany for his shaky
      > grasp of the Homeric tradition and one who denied that the /Odyssey/ had
      > anything to tell us about the Mediterranean : suffice it to mention here
      > Carol Dougherty (/The Raft of Odysseus/ [Oxford, 2001], pp. 12-13,
      > 95-101) or M. Gras, P. Rouillard and J. Teixidor (/L'univers ph�nicien/
      > [Paris, 1989], pp. 106-107) as to the contrary, viz. for the view that
      > the poem takes us back to the late 8th century and the competition
      > between Greek colonists and Phoenician merchants/pirats.
      >
      > Sorry if it hurts.
      >
      > J.-F. Nardelli,
      >
      > Universit� de Provence

      Cordially,