1447Re: SV: on the date of the Pentateuch

  • arenmaeir
    May 3, 2006
      --- In ANE-2@yahoogroups.com, Jim West <jwest@...> wrote:
      Jim,
      I have read Garbini's book several years ago, and truthfully, have
      found some of it completely "off the deep end"... In fact, I
      published a remark on part of the book in UF awhile back (on
      Garbini's ludicrous claims of evidence for the Philistines in
      Sardinia).
      On a related issue, I agree that the weaponry that Goliath carries
      is very varied and cannot point to a specific date, but, that is so
      also for the late dating of the text. And by the way, there are some
      very nice assemblages of weapons from the Keramekos cemetery in
      Athens dating to the 10th-9th cent. with various elements quite
      reminiscent of Goliath's panoply.

      Aren Maeir

      Jerusalem

      > Giovanni Garbini's excellent (and unfortunately overlooked) monograph,
      > "I Filstei", addresses the archaeological remnants of Philistine society
      > in the third chapter and the fourth. I don't recall if it's been
      > translated. But everyone should read Italian- it's the new German for
      > scholars of ancient Israel. ;-)
      >
      > Best
      >
      > Jim
      >

      > Mikey Brass wrote:
      > > gfsomsel@... wrote:
      > >

      > >><!--StartFragment--> 4 And there came out from
      the camp of the Philistines

      > > One significant (indeed I would argue the most significant) point which
      > > no one has adequately mentioned in this thread to date is: have any
      > > *archaeological* instances of Philistine armour been excavated (aside
      > > from reliefs!) and, if so, how do they relate to texts such as these?
      > >

      > --
      > Jim West, ThD
      >
      > "Quos Deus vult perdere, prius dementat."
      >
      > http://web.infoave.net/~jwest -- Biblical Studies Resources
      > http://petrosbaptistchurch.blogspot.com -- Weblog

    • Show all 15 messages in this topic