      From: ANE-2@yahoogroups.com [mailto:ANE-2@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of David Hall
      Sent: Monday, August 27, 2012 8:52 PM
      To: ANE-2@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: Re: [ANE-2] Prof. James Mellaart- In Memoriam

      Joe,

      I respect your contributions to the science of archaeology, your work in the Rockefeller Museum, and numerous posts to ANE-2. I think Melaart deserves some praise.

      He studied proto-urban Neolithic and Chalcolithic sites in Asia Minor. I have read some of his publications in a research library and can remember his documentation of the transition between gathering wild species of wheat to the domestication of wheat during Neolithic times. He was a scientist accused of being involved with antiquity looters. Most of his publication was from his own diggings and in depth research. The publications I read did not rely on faked or stolen antiquities.

      David Q. Hall
      dqhall.com
      dqhall59.com