      From: Jack Kilmon <jkilmon@...>
      To: ANE-2@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Friday, July 20, 2012 10:33 AM
      Subject: Re: [ANE-2] History of Writing

      An upper Paleolithic Aurignacian alphabet? 37 separate phonemes 35,000
      years ago for foraging hunter-gatherers? The Mas D'Azil bone carvings and
      the Azil Culture dates from the cusp of the upper Paleolithic and Mesolithic
      and the beginning of the domestication of animals, in this case reindeer,
      horses and oxen and apparent numerical carvings but an 1899 book W. Z.
      Ripley, "Races of Europe: A Sociological Study" by a sociologist suggests an
      alphabet based on studies by C. Letourneau (1896) Les Signes Libyques des
      Dolmens, Bull. Soc. D'Anthrop, p 319. who compared the Mas D'Azil carvings
      with dolmen carvings and found that some of the very rudimentary signs like
      the circle with a dot and the plus sign cross and other incomplete
      rectangles just as in this carving, were common from Neolithic Africa to
      Ireland but they are rudimentary signs that any culture would make for
      pictographs. Letourneau called the, "Signes Alphabetiformes'
      (alphabet-like). This was the late 19th century. I am not the expert in
      writing systems that Peter is but I cannot make the leap from these
      pictographs to an acrophonic system. Apparently neither could others over
      the last century. Could the proto-Canaanite/Sinaitic systems have used
      these common rudiments in their true acrophonic systems? Sure. I admit I am
      intrigued but you need to give me more citations.

      Regards,
      Jack kilmon
      Houston, TX