14353Re: [ANE-2] Recognizing Iron Age Israelite Settlements

  • Raz Kletter
    Jul 14, 2012
      I agree with Niels here. Sure, certain material objects and 'styles' can
      serve as ethnic markers, but how does one know which ones? Any type of
      object can transmit a message; the message can be about various cultural
      or economic norms, other than ethnicity. Assuming there is a certain Iron I
      uniformity (opinions differ), how do you know it was "deliberately"
      maintained, or even maintained as an ethnic marker?
      I am not sure I understood the "self-contained trading networks"
      case. If you identify them by archaeology, they too relate to appearance or
      lack of certain material finds, and are not a diferent category from the
      above mentioned.
      If archaeology alone could prove existance of ethnic groups, we would
      have found Prehistoric ethnicities by now. For example, there is no reason
      to think that ethnic groups appeared in the southern Levant only since the
      Late Bronze Age; but so far nobody manages to find which ethnic groups
      existed, if they existed, in the Early Bronze Age.
      Raz Kletter
      University of Helsinki