      From: Raz Kletter <kletterr@...>
      To: ANE-2@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Thursday, May 10, 2012 9:13 AM
      Subject: Re: [ANE-2] Re: Qeiyafa discoveries

      Eliot,
      Salvage excavations must too be made in a scientific pace - just like
      Tel Rehov (an example not in dispute). In 95% of salvage excavations, there
      is no justification at all for pressuring the archaeologists to finish
      fast. If a house or a road or some military installation will be finished a
      month or two earlier/ later, it affects mainly budgets, and even that,
      by very few percents.
      Very few excavations are urgent, when delays are life-threatening or
      cause considerable public inconvenience; but these are *rare*.
      The pressures "to finish fast no matter what" are many times supported
      or even produced by archaeologists in power, who do not understand or do
      not care for archaeology, but for budgets and profits. They do not let
      excavation managers decide the pace of excavation. This is true everywhere,
      but especially for salvage excavations of "private" university companies,
      whose profits go to the pockets of universities and archaeological
      departments.
      A person who created and continues to encourage this system complains
      now about a hasty pace of excavation; but only because its finds do not fit
      his theory. The word for it is hypocricity.
      In addition, even for Megiddo, one could find squares or loci excavated
      faster than the pace set as an example.
      Regardless: Douglas, you will end up eating your hat for lunch. An
      occupation layer must be excavated with the same meticolous care,
      whether the site has 1 layer or 1456. Removing fast a late layer in order
      to expose the Iron Age is an archaeological sin. With some other points I
      sympathise; but in these matters your defence ends up a discrimination.
      Raz Kletter