14011Re: Jiroft Re: [ANE-2] Re: Oldest writing system

  • Ian Onvlee
    Jan 5, 2012
      because of the regular forms, alluding to harmonics: Diamond, Triangles, squares, circles, verticals and such being a set of  basic notes; diamond, triangle, squares, circle and such with a dot (augmented notes), other symbols may denote diminished notes or other alterations, such as crescendo. I found the patterns too regular, repetitive and artifial to be normal text. Also the number of symbols are limited to 15 as far as I can see, the exact number of notes in two octaves of seven notes each plus the end octave. Thus, it could be a melody. These are the symbols I see:
        1. Diamond
      2. Triangle/dotted triangle
      3. Circle/dotted circle
      4. "Harp/Lyre"? or square with two verticals
      5. Bow left
      6. Bow right
      7. Vertical/dotted vertical
      8. Square/dotted square
      9. Slash
      10. Cross
      11. Harpoon left
      12. Harpoon right
      13. Cross with vertical
      14. Two intertwined bows
      15. two stacked diamonds

      Just an idea for the possible translation: because the sequence starts with a diamond and the only double diamand is close to the end, and never has a dot, I think it is the base (say the C note) and it's octave (C'). The triangle could be the D, or Second, the circle the E, or Third the "harp" perhaps the G, or Fifth.

      So, just to test a hunch, perhaps the five lines read as follows:
      F-|-D#-G-F-A-G-D-|-G-/-G-X-G-|?
      A-C-C-D-F-C-C-F-C-X-?-F-F

      Ian Onvlee,
      Den Haag, Netherlands