      Fra: ANE-2@yahoogroups.com [mailto:ANE-2@yahoogroups.com] På vegne af RUSSELLGMIRKIN@...
      Sendt: den 1 oktober 2011 17:35
      Til: ANE-2@yahoogroups.com
      Emne: Re: SV: [ANE-2] Elephantine Aramaic papyri

      In light of NPL's comments below, I will refrain from engaging in Bruce
      Gardener's comments on biblical historicity other to state that he
      misunderstands my position and that I welcome historical data from any literary
      source that has been subjected to proper historical criticism, which, I hasten
      to add, Dr. Gardner appears to attempt to perform.

      With respect to the archaeological debate on Jerusalem that NPL mentions in
      point 4 below, I would invoke the Elephantine Papyri no. 30 [Cowley],
      which is addressed to "Johanan the high priest and his colleagues the priests
      who are in Jerusalem" along with a body of "nobles" as contemporary evidence
      in 408 BCE of the importance of Jerusalem in religious matters and some of
      the social institutions present there. As an indisputably contemporary
      document, IMO this constitutes the best available evidence at present for
      Persian period Jerusalem (the archaeological remains remaining relatively mute
      at present date).

      Best regards,
      Russell Gmirkin

      Before I start: My forgot my glasses in my office in Copenhagen yesterday.
      It is an 80 miles drive! So if spelling etc is more compromised than usual,
      that's the reason.

      And to Gardner's mail:

      first, before we get to far from the subject, the Elephantine papyri: This
      list is not about biblical historicity.

      Second, the argument is wrong: It is nowhere to be proven that the
      mentioning of the names of Ezra and Nehemiah makes them historical. I could
      mention Tarzan without making him historical. Gilgamesh was probably in the hoary
      past a king from Lagash, but that will be the only historical part of the
      epic, etc etc.

      Third: Jeremias has nothing to say about Elephantine. a) can we date
      Jeremias? except from conventional beliefs that be belonged where he is said to
      belong? b) the context of Jer 44 and 46 is N.E Egypt. Migdol, as one of the
      place names mentioned there could be everywhere (meaning "tower"), the
      other names is about something in the eastern delta. How long is the distance
      from, say the present Suez canal to Elephantine?

      Fourth: The geography of Jerusalem in the Persian and Hellenistic periods
      is definitely a hot subject today. Some leading archaeologists like David
      Ussishkin would say that there was really nothing here before c. 200 BCE,
      making this discussion totally redundant

      Fifth: The post-exilic period is a concept, an ideological one, that comes
      from the Old Testament. We are investigating whether or not the concept is
      meaningful, as the Jewish society persisted in Iraq until 1951.

      Sixth: the term "Jew" in this connection is ideological and certainly not
      very precise. Which also means arguing that the Elephantine sociewty was
      Jewish is already presupposing something that is far from secure.

      Seventh: Bill Dever did not find out that Iron Age Yahweh of Juda/Samaria
      was a bachelor -- although he would be happy to be reckoned so. Here it
      would be more precise to quote the specialized literature by Tilde Binger,
      Paolo Merlo, Wiggins and more.

      But again, this is not the place to discuss the historicity of Ezra and
      Nehemiah. Such questions really belongs in biblical lists like Biblical
      studies. A remark like this "Rejection of biblical testimony per se has little
      critical merit and risks
      seeming ideologically-driven, perhaps after the minimalism of the age" has
      nothing to do here.

      Niels Peter Lemche