13086Re: [ANE-2] A New Year's Question: "suffix pronoun" vs "pronominal suffix"

  • R. Lehmann
    Jan 2, 2011
      Am 01.01.2011 um 14:32 schrieb Peter T. Daniels:

      > Germans writing in German (as opposed to dropping Latin phrases in) these days
      > tend to use "Endung" for the conjugational affixes in the perfect and "Suffix"
      > for the pronominal suffixes.

      Amusing. At least myself never use "Endung", because it is in such an extent unspecific always someone will confuse it with anything that makes a word longer than its lexical entry (plural, locale, whatever you want). "Endung" in my opinion is entirely useless.
      > "Afformative" is a Germanism in English, and I
      > don't recall Dennis using "sufformative" and "preformative," but they seem
      > equally foreign.

      Sorry, but "Afformativ" (though it will turn to an Germansim in English - any problem?) sounds perfect in contrast to preformative ("Präformativ") as being the main formative element of the verbal conjugation attached pre- and accordingly after the root. Ok, the better would fit "Sufformative", but I am afraid it will be a long way for the term to be accepted, at least in German ("Präformativ" and "Sufformativ"? Sounds strange ... or better tosay "postformative"?).

      > Eng. "affix" is the cover term for prefix, suffix, and infix; "ending" is
      > usually a non-technical equivalent of "suffix" but the ending/suffix distinction
      > could be convenient. It falls down, though, because "prefix," needed just as
      > much in Semitic, has no "ending"-like counterpart.

      Right. But practical language use has long since undermined etymology, at least in German, because there also is an (old) loan word "affigieren" which means "to attach something to (at the end)"...

      Am 01.01.2011 um 15:27 schrieb Christophe Batsch:

      > il mes paraît utile de conserver la distinction entre le cas-sujet (pronom suffixe ou suffixé) et les cas objets (suffixe ou flexion pronominal-e).
      > Les expressions du type "préformante" ou "afformante" seraient alors réservées aux agglutinations non pronominales.

      d'accord!

      ¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨
      Dr. Reinhard G. Lehmann
      Academic Director
      Research Unit on Ancient Hebrew & Epigraphy
      FB 01/ Faculty of Protestant Theology
      Johannes Gutenberg-University of Mainz
      D-55099 Mainz
      Germany
      lehmann@...
      http://www.hebraistik.uni-mainz.de
      http://www.ev.theologie.uni-mainz.de/297.php
      Subsidia et Instrumenta Linguarum Orientis (SILO):
      http://www.hebraistik.uni-mainz.de/182.php
      10th Mainz International Colloquium on Ancient Hebrew (MICAH):
      http://www.micah.hebraistik.uni-mainz.de/204.php