      From: Frank Polak <frankha@...>
      To: ANE-2@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Sat, January 1, 2011 6:55:50 AM
      Subject: Re: [ANE-2] A New Year's Question: "suffix pronoun" vs "pronominal
      suffix"

      Dear Reinhard,

      In a linguistic discussion I would prefer "suffixed pronoun." In
      didactic discourse one uses whatever works.
      The terms I use are "object/dative/possessive suffix."
      The point is, I  think, that the suffixed pronoun has the function of,
      and is exchangeable with an independent pronoun (or particle-pronoun)
      or a noun phrase in the same syntactic slot.
      It is not exchangeable with the endings of the suffixtenses, for they
      occupy a different slot (subject).
      Although, I tend to agree that in Akkadian the stative endings are
      "nominative suffixes".
      In Ugaritic/Phoenician/Hebrew/Aramaic/Arabic that is a different
      matter, although this view could (and should)
      be maintained for stative QaTiL/QaTuL/QaTaL (paris/parus).

      As to a suffix:
      affigo/suffigo have the part. affixus/suffixus (I looked it up),
      attached. So a suffix(ed) pronoun (pronomen suffixum) is identified as
      attachment.
      But it is not interchangeable with attached particles (enclitics).

      And now that I looked it up:
      Ewald (Grammatica Critica Linguae Arabicae ง367) has it: Pronomina
      Suffixa
      Gesenius (Ausf�hrliches Lehrgeba�de, ง 56-57) has Pronomen Personale
      Separatum as against P.P. Suffixum.
      Bauer_Leander have Pronomen Suffixum as against "Selbstไndiges
      Personalpronomen, and similarly Jo�on (the French edition) and
      Brockelmann (Arabische Grammatik).
      That is where I stopped.
      Von Soden has "Pronominalsuffixe"/Selbstไndige Personalpronomina"
      Van der Merwe/Naud้/Kroeze (Reference Grammar) speak of "Pronominal
      Suffixes",
      As always, Noeldeke is most interesting: in his Syriac Grammar he has
      "Subjektsformen" der Pronomina, Enclitische Formen an Part. und
      Adjektiv (which we also have in post-biblical Hebrew),
      Possessivsuffixa and Objektsuffixa. But there is an adder under
      the grass, for suffixa is sc. pronomina! I suppose that is the origin
      of pronominalsuffixe and "Pronominal Suffixes" etc.

      Once again,

      A happy New Year. May 2011 help us forget 2010!

      Frank