12503RE: [ANE-2] Re: The World of Achaemenid Persia: History, Art and Society in Iran and the Ancient Near East

  • Clark Whelton
    May 25, 2010
      Liz Fried wrote:
> [...]

      Evidence of material culture, such as pottery, weapons, graves, grave goods, temples, cultic objects, foundation stones, roads, palaces, gates, commercial infrastructure, etc.

      >Babylon - see the work of Dandamaev. Thousands of contracts and receipts
      >from Mesopotamia are dated according to the Persian kings. We now have an
      >archive from the satrap of Bactria containing copies of letters to a
      >governor of his in a city on the border of present-day Afghanistan dated to
      >the years of Artaxerxes (III). The difficulty is that people began to use
      >perishable papyri rather than clay tablets, but we have enough anyway to
      >confirm the Greek texts.
      >Liz

      It must have been a very rich prize that lured Alexander so far east. I ask about material culture because I find it hard to accept that there is so little evidence of the people who lived and worked in the Persian satrapy along the Indus. Now I'm wondering what we know about the material culture of Bactria.

      Clark Whelton
      New York

      > _____

    • Show all 21 messages in this topic