12491Re: [ANE-2] Re: The World of Achaemenid Persia: History, Art and Society in Iran and the Ancient Near East

  • Alejandro Mizzoni
    May 23, 2010
      As noted before on ANE, material evidence of the Persian Empire is missing
      in the archaeological records of Assyria and the Indus, two satrapies cited
      by Herodotus as producers of great wealth for the Persian treasury. What
      material evidence in there in Gandhara of the people who lived and worked
      there under Persian rule?

      Clark Whelton
      New York

      Cf. Magee el. al. "The Achaemenid Empire in South Asia and Recent
      Excavations in Akra in Northwest Pakistan", AJA, 109/4, pp. 711-741.
      http://abstractairanica.revues.org/document16052.html

      Alejandro Mizzoni
      Buenos Aires

      2010/5/17, Clark Whelton <cwhelton@...>:

      > Subject: [ANE-2] Re: The World of Achaemenid Persia: History, Art and
      > Society in Iran and the Ancient Near East

      > That two century Achaemenid period was arguably one of the most creative in
      > the long history of what we like to call civilization.
      > In a forthcoming article in the classics journal Mouseion I argue that the
      > Achaemenid satrapies in Gandhara played a pivotal role in the emergence of
      > western and eastern (Greek, Buddhist, Upanishad, Jain) philosophies.
      > Syncretic evidence supports the seldom cited 5th century BCE chronology of
      > Siddartha Gautama and major Upanishad teachers suggesting that they like
      > Herodotus, Democritus, Isaiah II/III, Nehemiah etc. were all at one time
      > subjects of the same empire, and enjoyed similar degress of freedom to
      > explore new ideas.
      >

      > As noted before on ANE, material evidence of the Persian Empire is missing
      > in the archaeological records of Assyria and the Indus, two satrapies cited
      > by Herodotus as producers of great wealth for the Persian treasury. What
      > material evidence in there in Gandhara of the people who lived and worked
      > there under Persian rule?
      >

      > Clark Whelton
      > New York

    • Show all 21 messages in this topic