12480Re: [ANE-2] Re: The World of Achaemenid Persia: History, Art and Society in Iran and the Ancient Near East

  • Clark Whelton
    May 17 9:35 AM
      Subject: [ANE-2] Re: The World of Achaemenid Persia: History, Art and

      Graham Hagens wrote:

> [...]
      That two century Achaemenid period was arguably one of the most creative in
      the long history of what we like to call civilization.
      In a forthcoming article in the classics journal Mouseion I argue that the
      Achaemenid satrapies in Gandhara played a pivotal role in the emergence of
      western and eastern (Greek, Buddhist, Upanishad, Jain) philosophies.
      Syncretic evidence supports the seldom cited 5th century BCE chronology of
      Siddartha Gautama and major Upanishad teachers suggesting that they like
      Herodotus, Democritus, Isaiah II/III, Nehemiah etc. were all at one time
      subjects of the same empire, and enjoyed similar degress of freedom to
      explore new ideas.

      As noted before on ANE, material evidence of the Persian Empire is missing
      in the archaeological records of Assyria and the Indus, two satrapies cited
      by Herodotus as producers of great wealth for the Persian treasury. What
      material evidence in there in Gandhara of the people who lived and worked
      there under Persian rule?

      Clark Whelton
      New York
    • Show all 21 messages in this topic