12477Re: The World of Achaemenid Persia: History, Art and Society in Iran and the Ancient Near East

  • Graham Hagens
    May 16, 2010
      Thanks for this Liz. I look forward to getting a copy.

      That two century Achaemenid period was arguably one of the most creative in the long history of what we like to call civilization.
      In a forthcoming article in the classics journal Mouseion I argue that the Achaemenid satrapies in Gandhara played a pivotal role in the emergence of western and eastern (Greek, Buddhist, Upanishad, Jain) philosophies. Syncretic evidence supports the seldom cited 5th century BCE chronology of Siddartha Gautama and major Upanishad teachers suggesting that they like Herodotus, Democritus, Isaiah II/III, Nehemiah etc. were all at one time subjects of the same empire, and enjoyed similar degress of freedom to explore new ideas.

      Graham Hagens
      Hamilton