12467Re: Question, Ramat Rahel

  • zmbq
    May 14, 2010
      Hi.

      I was one on a tour at the site with one of the excavators (not Oded, someone who worked with him whose name eludes me). He, too, raised the possibility that the site was originally an Assyrian palace used to keep an eye on Jerusalem. He also suggested that it was indeed used by the Jeohiakim, which was at a time after the fall of the Assyrian empire.

      Both suggestions are reasonable (and non-exclusive), I don't know if there's any way of disproving one of them with the finds we have today.

      Itay Zandbank
      Israel

      --- In ANE-2@yahoogroups.com, RUSSELLGMIRKIN@... wrote:

      > Yigal,
      >
      > Thanks for the comments clarifying the interpretation of the site held by
      > Oded Lipschits. The Ramat Rahel website hinted in that direction (that the
      > palace citadel of Stratum Va was not that of a Judean king). A passage
      > from the website I quote below indicated that "A luxurious Assyrian palace
      > was found in the debris that covered the citadel after its destruction by the
      > Babylonians." Am I to infer that this Assyrian palace is the same one
      > that previous excavators attributed to either Jehoiachin or his father
      > Jehoiakim?
      >
      > Best regards,
      > Russell Gmirkin
    • Show all 6 messages in this topic