12356Re: [ANE-2] Gilgamesh XI:5

  • Donald R. Vance, Ph.D.
    Apr 1, 2010
      Thanks to Victor and Parsa for their comments. They were very helpful.
      The normalization of the line as

      gummurka libbi ana epēš tuqunti
      [gummurka libbi ana epe:$ tuqunti]

      is found in CAD (s.v. gamāru 3.h), where CAD renders it as "Your heart
      is wholly given to fighting." It seems to me that CAD here is reading
      gummur as a D infinitive followed by the genitive of libbu (note the
      lack of macron over the final i) "Your dedicating of the heart to the
      making of war" = "your heart is wholly given to fighting"

      CAD, however, also normalizes the line as

      gummurka libbī ana epēš tuqunti
      [gummurka libbi: ana epe:$ tuqunti]

      s.v. tuqumtu b.1'. This fits Victor's treatment of gummur as a D
      stative 3, m, s, with dative sx. -ka, the subject of which is libbī
      with 1, c, s, gen. sx. "my heart." (GAG §42j lists -ka as a dative
      ending in later forms of the language.) CAD here renders this as "My
      heart is wholly given to fight with you."

      The later translations (the CAD T volume is copyrighted 2006 and the G
      volume is 1956) including the Context of Scripture seem to go with
      this second understanding which was found already in Heidel (1949):
      "My heart had pictured thee as one as one perfect for the doing of
      battle."

      Again thanks to Victor and Parsa. It is fun to get back into Akkadian!

      Donald R. Vance, Ph.D.
      Professor of Biblical Languages and Literature
      Oral Roberts University
      dvance@...
      donaldrvance@...