      Da: dafoxvog <foxvog@...>
      Oggetto: [ANE-2] Re: determinatives - sumerian
      A: ANE-2@yahoogroups.com
      Data: Mercoledì 10 marzo 2010, 22:08

      One kind of practical evidence for non-pronunciation of determinatives can be found in early texts in which determinatives are to some extent optional or at least not consistently used. The ED IIIb Girsu (Lagash I) administrative corpus provides many instances. For example, the names of many individuals which begin with the name of a deity were written both with and without an initial divine determinative.

      For {gesz}nu2 rather than gesz-nu2, at least in these early texts, compare three lines from DP 490: 1 nu2 {gesz}taskarin esz2 ak (i 1), 1 {gesz}nu2 {gesz}taskarin esz2 nu-ak (ii 1), 1 {gesz}sag-erim2 nu2 (iv 5).

      DP 427 i 1-3 itemizes parts of beds: 4 {gesz}gi-gid2 {gesz}ur2 {gesz}zi nu2, 2 gesz}gi-gid2 {gesz}ur2 sag-erim2 nu2, 2 {gesz}gi-gid2 {gesz}ur2 umbin nu2.

      See further D. Frayne, BiOr 42 (1985) 20 (citing P. Michalowski, Diss. Yale [1976] 47), for an Ur III example: siskur {gesz}nu2 gub-ba for which a parallel text (BIN 3, 382:4) writes siskur nu2 gub-ba '(x animals), offerings for the setting up of the bed'.

      Daniel A Foxvog

      Lecturer in Assyriology (ret.)

      Univ. of California at Berkeley