12143Yau in Sealand personal names

  • Bjarte Kaldhol
    Jan 30, 2010
      Dear list,

      The third name with Yau in the Sealand archive edited by Dalley in CUSAS
      Vol. 9, turns out to be an Akkadian name, Yau-bani, from Kassite Nippur. So
      we have now three Akkadian names that may attest to a knowledge of Yau (or
      Yaw?) in Babylonia in the 16th century BC. Among other interesting gods in
      this archive are:

      (dingir) Amurru in the first or second part of many personal names
      Anzak (associated with Magan) in five PN
      Belluki (in an Elamite name)
      Harbat (written -BA-AT!) as well as Harbe (HAR.BE)
      Igi$ta
      Lahura$er
      Manzât
      Nazi
      Ningir (Kassite)
      PAP.PAP.MU$EN
      Sah
      Te$$ib (sic! In PN Te$$ibewri, written TE $I BI IB RI)

      Among kings mentioned in year formulae are
      A.A-DARA3-GALAM.MA
      PE$.GAL -DARA3.ME$
      (both bore Sumerian names)

      Place names of interest:
      Dûr-Amurru (?)
      Dûr-Enlile (not far from Nippur)
      Dûr-Ninurta (in the vicinity of Nippur, it has a kâru)
      E2-ka$$i
      E$nunna (i$nukki, boats from there are mentioned)
      Larsa
      Quppat-Nikkal
      Udâni (= Udannu?, west of Nippur)
      Uruk
      Many place names beginning with Kar-.

      Dalley concludes from the place names that "a provenance for the archive
      near Nippur is more likely than farther south" (p. 9).

      An interesting greeting formula in letters: ana dinân bêlija anâku lullik.

      One text (MS 2200/7) mentions thirty wooden writing boards: "30 GI$.DA.HI.A
      itti$unu".

      On the edge of four tablets there are alphabetic inscriptions. A photo of
      two of them are found on plate 175.

      Best wishes,
      Bjarte Kaldhol
      Oslo