12133Yau and Yah in the wilderness

  • Brian Colless
    Jan 27, 2010

      Can I try the short answer: the mountain was a place of pilgrimage
      (the prophet Eliyahu went there for a mystical tune-up, in the
      cavethat is there at the top), and nowadays it is for tourism (a guide
      who takes people there is my informant, sending me the photographs);
      the story says that they moved on from there.

      The one down south in the Peninsula is hot, too; but when I walked to
      the top of it on a January morning I felt freezing cold.

      The Y is only a stroke (for an arm) but the H has to be a stick figure
      with arms and legs; they are examples of writing, Late Bronze Age,
      saying YH, and also EL, and ShS (Shasu?).

      And this one:

      Y B S ` N K H
      "The wellspring has dried up here" (?)
      (But shouldn't it be YShBT, -t for feminine `ayin? Maybe it was a
      sibboleth tribe.
      My guide tells me there are no springs around there. Precisely. That's
      why they put the sign up.

      Brian Colless
      Massey University, NZ