      From: Brian Colless <briancolless@...>
      To: ANE-2@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Wed, January 27, 2010 7:03:12 AM
      Subject: [ANE-2] Re: Yau in Sealand personal names

      Bjarte, this is very timely. It so happens that I have spent my day
      (though it was not what I had intended to do when I got out of bed)
      considering the evidence concerning the Shasu of Yhw, and examining my
      collection of inscriptions from the Negev, Arava, and Timna.

      Most pertinent to this matter of the deity YW/YH are the rock
      inscriptions from Har Karkom (the true Mount Horeb/Sinai), and I will
      take this opportunity or recording for my own use what I have noticed.

      #2 examples of YH on stones (an arm [yad] and a jubilater [hll], in
      each case standing on hands), written sinistrograde (R-L)

        # YH (with H upright) on a stone, to the left of a robed figure
      standing inside a shrine (unless the half-circle is a halo);
      remarkably this rock is among a group situated near an area that has
      been intentionally cleared, and has been suggested as the site of the
      Tabernacle (and if you know the right size for the cubit, it will fit
      perfectly there, as the first temple does on the Jerusalem Mount at
      the Dome of the Rock).

      Recently I reported another stone I have seen in a photograph, which
      has ' (ox) L (crook) Sh (sun) S (fish), presumably signifying EL (God)
      and ShaSu people.

      I have also been reading on the web (with a break to go to the cinema
      to see  NOODLE, in Hebrew and Chinese, and hardly understood a word of
      either language at that speed) the theories of James R. Harris on the
      Old Negev language and script; he also finds YH there but not the same
      as my examples, and his readings of  the inscriptions in the Sinai
      mines are quite different from mine; but having established to his own
      satisfaction what the signs of the Old Negev alphabet were, he then
      takes us to places like Utah and Mexico, to find YH among their
      petroglyphs, and on Olmec seals (*The Name of God: From Sinai  to the
      American Southwest).

      I mention this because I am going to release a Canaanite inscription
      that seems to establish that the Phoenicians did cross the Atlantic,
      but I doubt that they brought the god YH with them, though they did
      carry the art of logo-syllabic writing  (which they had invented by
      2300 BCE, and which they had already passed on to the Cretans and the
      Luwians).

      By the way, one of the actresses in the movie has the name Anat, and I
      have been trying to establish when the goddess`Anat first reached
      Egypt (just before the Hyksos took over the Delta, I redd today); she
      is in the Wadi el-Hol graffiti, you know.

      Brian Colless