      From: cweb255
      Sent: Wed 06/01/2010 3:08 PM
      To: ANE-2@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: [ANE-2] Re: Ethnicity in the ANE

      I still think I'd rather have Siân Jones' definition:

      "Ethnic groups are culturally ascribed identity groups, which are based on the expression of a real or assumed shared culture and common descent."

      The "culturally ascribed" modifier assumes that the whole thing is discursive, which in my opinion negates Barth's definition inasmuch as it's not so much what a person thinks about themselves, but what a person thinks about themselves with respect to what others think about that person. That's why Macedonians (from FYRM) aren't Greeks - Greeks say they're not.

      Now that I chimed in on my area of research, I'll go back and read the rest of the conversation.

      Chris Weimer
      SFSU