11897YH and the Shasu

  • Brian Colless
    Jan 5, 2010
      I am interested to see Robert Feather mentioning my Hebrew teacher E C
      B Maclaurin (Sydney University 1959, and I had Rabbi Israel Porush for
      Mishnaic Hebrew), and also the Shasu (see below).

      Thomas Thompson says :"theYahu of the Shasw is somewhat uncertain"

      Well now, among the epigraphical materials that people are feeding to
      me these days are the graffiti from Har Karkom (the True Mount Horeb/
      Sinai):

      - at least two stones have proto-alphabetic YH (arm, jubilater) [ --
      < >-E ], Late Bronze Age
      - one rock has ' l ('alep lamed, ox crook) next to Sh S (sun, fish)
      "El of the Shasu"

      When I feel a bit more confident about this set, I will put them all
      on my cryptcracker site.

      One of them seems to be a sign for a dried up spring, and looking
      again at the Timnah inscription reported here around the 27th of
      August 2009, in two linked cartouches, it has just occurred to me:
      the Eye could represent `ayin 'spring' (as a rebus) as in three of
      the Sinai inscriptions;
      M M R could say "water of bitterness" (R a head, not the illusion of a
      seated man);
      L Dh K would be: " Not (L) pure (DhK)"

      The sun-serpent with sun disc says Sh or ShMSh 'sun'
      If the three lines could be the spinal column (the alternative Samek,
      which eventually displaced the fish), we have ShS (Shasu).

      http://www.stonewatch.de/Daten/Timna-1.jpg

      It's all guesswork, you know, even when we can recognize all the signs.

      It could be Dh L K (This is for you) K L Dh (All this)
      The signs = ( [ ] (Dh Hh) house with round courtyard, H.asir, suggest
      Hh M M R "This spring is hot and bitter" (feminine -t would be
      expected if these are adjectives).

      But I do cryptic and codecracker crossword puzzles to get my brain
      hopping around and primed up for these real-life puzzles.

      Brian Colless

      Massey University, NZ