      From: Lisbeth S. Fried <lizfried@...>
      Subject: RE: [ANE-2] 7th century Judaism or YHWHism
      To: ANE-2@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Wednesday, December 30, 2009, 1:14 PM

      What is an anachronism? ??

      I really don’t get this. Jew is an English word. Let’s forget it, banish it,

      it’s not worth discussing, it’s meaningless in the context of the ANE.

      Now, the Hebrew Bible has Yehudim. This word appears in Kings and in

      Ezra-Nehemiah (and elsewhere).

      Whenever it’s in a pre-exilic context it’s always translated as Judeans,

      but when in a post-exilic context it’s always translated as Jews! The same

      word!

      That is what is anachronistic, translating the same word in two different

      ways, imposing 20th century ideology on ancient texts.

      Liz Fried

      _____

      Fra: ANE-2@yahoogroups. <mailto:ANE- 2%40yahoogroups. com> com