      Fra: ANE-2@yahoogroups.com [mailto:ANE-2@yahoogroups.com] På vegne af William D. Tallman
      Sendt: den 31 december 2009 08:06
      Til: ANE-2@yahoogroups.com
      Emne: Re: SV: [ANE-2] 7th century Judaism or YHWHism

      On Wed, Dec 30, 2009 at 02:42:37PM +0100, Niels Peter Lemche wrote:
      > It is an anachronism, before the Hellenistic Age. It is a left-over
      > from the days when the biblical history of Israel's past as the twelve
      > tribes migrating the desert, storming the land of Canaan, and settling
      > there as a nation of twelve tribes was still au courant.
      >
      > When Sennacherib refers to Hezekiah, it is a the "Judean", often
      > translated the "Jew", but hardly meaning more than "the man from (the
      > landscape/state) of Judah.
      >
      > Niels Peter Lemche

      In D.B. Redford: "Egypt, Canaan, and Israel in Ancient Times", Princeton
      University Press, 1992, p 295, is this sentence:

      "Kenites, Yerahmeelites, Calebites, Othnielites, and others constituted
      the population of the rugged country called _Har Yehuda_, "the mountain
      (district) of the gorge(s)."

      The citations are M. Noth, _The History of Israel_ (London, 1959),
      56-58; E. Lipinsky _VT 23_ (1973), 380-381; R. de Vaux, _The Early
      History of Israel_ (Philadelphia, 1978), 547.

      I don't have these citations available to check, so I can only suppose
      that they make the same assertion. Anyone clarify this for me?

      The term _Har Yehuda_ is apparently a proper noun. _Har_ is (loosely?)
      translated as "mountain" or "mountain range/region/district(?)"; is
      _Yehuda_ then the Hebrew(?) word for "gorge(s)"? If not, then is there
      an etymological connection?

      If so, then the _Yehuda(i?)_ could be construed as "(the people from)
      the gorges", one might suppose. I'm well aware that there is a hugely
      powerful tacit assumption that the proper noun is a "Biblical term", and
      therefore is exempt from legitimate question. That said, might there be
      some support for this conjecture?

      Thanks for reading.

      William D. Tallman
      343 Fleming Drive