11750Re: [ANE-2] Re: Dilmun is Umm Daleimin/Qurnah?

  • Walter Mattfeld
    Dec 15, 2009
      Dear David,

      I disagree. Behind all myths are historical kernels, real places and events
      and people. Dilmun existed as early as circa 3200 BC-2300 BC on tablets at
      Uruk. Sargon of Agade (2300 BC) said he _conquered Dilmun_ as part of the
      Sea Land he "sieged" (the area about Basra and Qurna is called the Sea Land
      by PhD scholars) Why would Sargon claim to have conquered a "mythical" place
      that didn't exist and make a "fool" of himself? I am familiar with Bibby and
      his supporters and find all of them in error. Esarhaddon said it was 30 beru
      from Aphek to Raphia for his marching army (places identified by
      archaeologists as west of Israel), calculated by modern scholars as being
      220 kilometers or 132 miles apart from each other. Bahrain is over 400 miles
      from Sumer's border at Ur and Eridu. However, 220 kilometers east of Ur and
      Eridu is the mouth of the Shatt al Arab, placing Dilmun in the marshes
      between Sumer and Elam, _not_ Bahrain, 400 miles away (which would be over
      60+ beru for Esarhaddon).

      Regards, Walter