11748Re: [ANE-2] Re: Dilmun is Umm Daleimin/Qurnah?

  • David Hall
    Dec 14, 2009
      Hello Walter:

      The major Sumerian mounds have been found north and west of the Shat al-Arab (Arab Canal) and Qurneh.  Tell Laham like Eridu and Ur is far west of Qurneh near the mouths of the two rivers were the spring flood was the greatest.

      http://www.bibleorigins.net/QurnahEdenMap.html

      The rivers flooded every spring as the snow melted in the mountains of Turkey and Iran adding water to the Euphrates and Tigris.  The flooding has been less extensive in the 21st century after the Turkish government built numerous dams on its portions of the rivers.  Iraqi government efforts to drain the marshlands between the two rivers changed the appearance of the land.

      Since Gilgamesh was obviously a myth, trying to locate its "true" location is an impossible task as no place contains a secret medication for eternal life.  Gilgamesh looking for the secret of eternal life in Dilmun is likened to Ponce de Leon looking for the fountain of youth in Florida.  The word Dilmun was used in documents dating from as early as c. 2500 B.C.  These mythologists were not always accurate in their descriptions.

      There are no Sumerian mounds in the vicinity of Qurneh.

      There were natural springs in the northern part of Bahrain that attracted mariners, settlers, and the eyes of a hero if he were to catch a glimpse of a young woman bathing in the fountain.  Since Gilgamesh is a myth, it is no wonder there is difficulty in you proving where Dilmun was.  Tablets from Ur and lower Iraq indicated trading by boat to and from Dilmun including a trade in copper that was believed to be from Oman according to the nickel content of Sumerian copper being similar to the nickel content of copper from Oman.  Geoffrey Bibby found evidence at Bahrain linking it to the Magan (Oman) copper trade with the Sumerians of Iraq.  Both Sumerian and Indus R. civilization weights were found at Bahrain.

      New Analyses of Old Babylonian Metalwork from Tell Sifr, by P. R. S. Moorey, J. E. Curtis, D. R. Hook and M. J. Hughes
      Iraq, Vol. 50, (1988), pp. 39-48

      Looking for Dilmun, by Geoffrey Bibby, New York, 1970.

      David Q. Hall
      Falls Church, Virginia