      From: "Ben Zvi, Ehud" <ehud.benzvi@...>
      To: ANE-2@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Thu, December 3, 2009 2:11:14 PM
      Subject: [ANE-2] JHS - Israel Finkelstein,"Persian Period Jerusalem and Yehud: A Rejoinder."

      Dear all,

      I am glad to announce the publication of the following article in the Journal of Hebrew Scriptures (http://www.jhsonline.org)

      Journal of Hebrew Scriptures - Volume 9: Article 23 (2009)

      Israel Finkelstein, "Persian Period Jerusalem and Yehud: A Rejoinder."

      Abstract

      This is a rejoinder to several recently published articles which take issue with my views on Persian period Jerusalem and Yehud. The article deals with methodological issues such as inconsistencies between archaeology and text and the meaning of negative evidence in archaeology. On the factual level, with the available data at hand, I see no reason to change my views: Persian period Jerusalem covered ca. 2-2.5 hectares, and both the description of the construction of the city-wall in Nehemiah 3 and the List of Returnees in Ezra and Nehemiah probably reflect late Hellenistic (Hasmonean) period realities.

      Those who wish to access this article directly may go to http://www.arts. ualberta. ca/JHS/Articles/ article_126. pdf

      In other news, a slightly revamped interface for JHS will be ready soon. My thanks to Melanie Marvin who is working on this project.

      ----

      The printed version of volume 8 (2008) has been released by Gorgias Press. For information please go to http://www.gorgiaspress.com/BOOKSHOP/pc-56678-10-ben-zvi-ehud-perspectives-on-hebrew-scriptures-v.aspx

      For information about the other volumes, please go to

      http://www.gorgiasp ress.com/ BOOKSHOP/ pc-56678- 10-ben-zvi- ehud-perspective s-on-hebrew- scriptures- v.aspx

      For information about the Logos version of the Journal (vols. 1-7), please go to http://www.logos. com/products/ details/4336 <https://artsml. arts.ualberta. ca/exchweb/ bin/redir. asp?URL=http: //www.logos. com/products/ details/4336>

      The Logos version of volume 8 of the journal is being prepared.

      Regards,

      Ehud

      Ehud Ben Zvi
      History and Classics
      University of Alberta
      2-28 HM Tory Building
      Edmonton AB Canada T6G 2H4

      ** This communication is intended for the use of the recipient to whom it is addressed, and may contain confidential, personal, and/or privileged information. Please contact me immediately if you are not the intended recipient of this communication, and do not copy, distribute, or take action relying on it. Any communication received in error, or subsequent reply, should be deleted or destroyed.**