11422Re: Philistine Architecture? (was: Philistine areas)

  • driver40386
    Oct 3, 2009
      Thankyou for your input Doug.
      If I may quote from your post..
      >As for Smyth's suggestion that we hardly know anything about these people, ergo we
      >cannot confidently suggest that the Philistines are a distinct ethnic group,...

      Doug, may I suggest to you that while 'Philistine architecture' may be viewed by some as foreign to local architectural examples, this does not necessarily imply it is foreign to the Levant as a whole.
      If you recall one point I made was:
      "How sure can we be that such architecture is not actually Canaanite, Levantine, Syrian or at least generally just Asiatic?"

      Two points you made in your response only serve to compliment my argument.
      The first is Harrison's work at Tell Tayinat in northern Syria and secondly, Hawkins identification of Taitas, King of Wadasatini/Padasatin (the Patina/Hatina of Assyrian sources?), aka Palestin?
      Such evidence only adds to the likelyhood that the Peleset were a Semitic people, confirming the only identified relief of a Peleset from Medinet-Habu:
      http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h246/drifter_03/Philistinecaptive.jpg

      Likewise we see the same Semitic features for a Sherdan..
      http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h246/drifter_03/Shardana_Prisoner.jpg

      (not to be confused with the clean shaven manequin figures used in the battle reliefs).

      The Medinet-Habu inscriptions refer to the Peleset, Sheklesh, Sikel, etc, as St-tyw – Asiatics.

      Tell Tayinat, as you point out is part of ancient Syria. The tunics shown in relief at Medinet-Habu worn by the Peleset, Sherden, Sheklesh, Denyen, etc, is distinctly of Syrian design. The chevron patterned knee-length tunic with a tripple-tassle hanging at four equally spaced points around the hem is known from tomb reliefs in Egypt as far back as the Amarna period. It is of Syrian design, consistently shown adorning the figure of a Semite/Asiatic/St-tyw.
      The horned helmet of the Sherdan is typically of Mesopotamian origin, only appearing in the Aegean & Europe much later.

      The long tapered sword, at one time termed the Shardana Sword, has been argued by Nancy Sanders to have evolved from the Canaanite short sword, not related to any Aegean type.

      North Syrian architecture contained more Aegean influences than did south Levantine architecture. It is north Syrian architecture with its Cypriot & Cilician influences that we find traces of in the southern Levant.

      The enemies of Ramesses III (given the ultra dramatic misnomer of 'Sea Peoples') were indigenous to the eastern Aegean. From Cilicia we had the Tersha (Tarsus), Adana (Denyen), and Weshesh (Issus). We find the Sherden, Sikel & Peleset in north Syria, all Asiatics, all dressed in Syrian garb.
      Philistine architecture although alien to the Philistine Pentapolis is quite at home in northern Syria.
      Does this make the Philistines a different ethnic group?, I think not.
      Given all the evidence as it stands the Philistines appear to have been nothing more than Aegeanized Canaanites.

      All the best, Jon Smyth
      Toronto, CAN.
    • Show all 20 messages in this topic