11411RE: [ANE-2] Philistine areas

  • Yigal Levin
    Sep 30, 2009
      Dear David,

      You recall correctly about Ashkelon. The site is part of an Israeli national
      park, and most of it is open to the public, with admission fees. The MB
      ramparts and gate (similar in construction to the "triple-arch" gate at Tel
      Dan, but the roofing, arched or not, has not been preserved) are worth
      seeing, but the Iron Age Philistine areas are still being excavated and are
      not generally open to the public. If you intend to visit during the
      excavation season, you might try contacting Daniel Master and asking for a
      tour. Their website is
      http://www.fas.harvard.edu/~semitic/ashkelon_dig.html.

      Tell es-Safi/Gath has also been declared a nation park, and a nice trail, an
      observation point and some signs were set up a couple of years ago. So far,
      the site is open with no admission fees charged. However excavations there
      are also ongoing, and no reconstruction has been undertaken yet. In this
      case, if you arrive during the July excavations, I'm sure that Aren Maeir
      will be more than happy to give you the grand tour. His blog is at
      http://gath.wordpress.com/.

      Tel Ashdod is just outside the "Ad Halom" industrial area and is easily
      accessible, but there's really nothing to see. Tel Miqne/Ekron is very
      difficult to get to, but if you where you're going and have an off-road
      vehicle there is no physical barrier. But very little has been done an the
      site since the excavations ended 15 years ago, the whole site is overgrown,
      and there's very little to see.

      Yigal Levin

      _____