11230Re: definition of "stratum"

  • Björn Lindborg
    Aug 6, 2009
      --- In ANE-2@yahoogroups.com, "Jack Kilmon" <jkilmon@...> wrote:

      > Whether geological or archaeological, a stratum is a layer that
      > defines occupation, whether by certain species of trilobites or
      > Edomites. It can be either upper Ordovician or Iron Ia.
      > A destruction layer is not critical for dating and hearth carbon
      > is more accurate than ashes from architecture that may be several
      > hundred years older than the occupation. Ceramics, epigraphy and
      > the artifacts of every day life are the "fossils" of archaeological
      > strata.

      In spite of the number of posts on the 'stratum' issue, I'm confident
      we may agree on some basic facts.

      [Aren Maeir:] This can be a destruction level, but it can also be a
      level that was formed thru the ongoing, peaceful activity at a site.
      The definition of a stratum does not have to be debris on a floor,
      it can also relate to other stratigraphically noticable features.

      [BL:] A stratum is a layer, yes, but it is often more easy to
      define in time if it ends with a destruction, which may be a
      << destruction layer from conquest or an accidental fire jumping
      from house to house in one part of the city. >> (David Hall)

      In such a destruction layer,
      << ceramics, epigraphy and the artifacts of every day life >>
      are then mostly rather close in time to the destruction date.
      Correct so far?

      In contrast, if 'good times' prevail, without disastrous events, then
      buildings etc. are repaired or replaced when needed, so the different
      strata will be more fluid and maybe ill-defined in time. This is one
      reason why the archaeology may be difficult in e.g. Neo-Assyria, the
      kingdom of Manasse, or large parts of the Persian Empire.

      If we try to identify e.g. the stratum/strata in London associated
      with the British colonial Empire, we would of course find no such
      defined thing, because many buildings from even before that period
      are still standing today. We could possibly hope to find stratified
      remains in some small parts of the city, like NPL's examples from
      Copenhagen.

      The second half of my post (in the "Persia, Egypt, Babylon" thread)
      just emphasised the obvious fact that we should not turn to reduced
      chronologies whenever such ill-defined strata occur. We certainly
      agree on that.

      Björn Lindborg
    • Show all 8 messages in this topic