10924Re: [ANE-2] Priestesses in ANE (at the turn of the Era)

  • George F Somsel
    Jul 1, 2009
      Heading (line 1)
      Tablet of rites for the high priestess of Emar’s storm god.
      Day 1: The Day of Selection(lines 1–6)

      When the sons of Emar elevate the high priestess to the storm god, the sons of Emar take lots from the temple of NINURTA and grasp them before the storm god.
      The daughter of any son of Emar may be designated.
      On the same day they take fragrant oil from the palace and from NINKUR’s temple and place it on her head.
      They offer before the storm god one sheep, one quart jar, and one standard vessel of wine.
      They give the diviner one shekel of silver.
      They send back to NINURTA’s temple eight dried cakes and one standard vessel along with the lots. During the consecration of the shaving ceremony they consecrate all the gods of Emar with bread and beer.

      Hallo, W. W., & Younger, K. L. (1997). The context of Scripture (427) "The Installation of the Storm God's High Priestess". Leiden; New York: Brill.
       george
      gfsomsel

      … search for truth, hear truth,
      defend the truth till death.