10922Re: [ANE-2] End of human sacrifice (Was The First Historians?)

  • George F Somsel
    Jun 30, 2009
      It does not specifically state that she was a temple prostitute, but it definitely calls her זוֹנָהwhich is one who engages in illicit sexual activity.  He is called "the Gileadite" AND it is stated that Gilead was his father.  It is speculated that this means "Who knows who his father was?"  It also states that "they cast him out."  "Get out of here, bastard; you have no inheritance rights." He was a companion to "worthless fellows."  Yes, we wouldn't wish to say anything regarding the "great one", would we?  He is, however, also called גִּבּוֹר חַיִל, a brave man.  He thus lived the life of Robin Hood as did David.  This is the background of the importuning of his assistance by his unaccepting brothers.  He therefore imposes the condition that he shall be their leader, and they accept the terms.  Note that it is said וַתְּהִי עַל־יִפְתָּח רוּחַ יהוה, "the spirit of YHWH came upon him."
      Thus what he does thereafter is considered to be by divine inspiration so he makes a vow.  This is about as close to approval as you will ever find.  It concludes with an aetiological note

      מִיָּמִים יָמִימָה תֵּלַכְנָה בְּנוֹת יִשְׂרָאֵל לְתַנּוֹת לְבַת־יִפְתָּח הַגִּלְעָדִי אַרְבַּעַת יָמִים בַּשָּׁנָה׃
      which gives account of the origin of the mourning festival which was practiced.george
      gfsomsel

      … search for truth, hear truth,
      defend the truth till death.

      - Jan Hus