10646Re: Earliest alphabet

  • Brian Colless
    May 8 4:41 AM
      David,

      This is a useful addition to the discussion.

      One might have expected Crete to have been the intermediary island for
      transmission to Greece. The bowl (ks) fromTekke (near Knossos) has a
      Phoenician ('Proto-Canaanite' script) inscription (C9 tomb; difficult
      to date precisely). It is similar to the Kefar Veradim bowl from a
      contemporary tomb (north of Akko). (What strikes me about the two
      vessels is that both have the name ShM`.)

      The Phoenicians are said to have arrived in Cyprus in C8 BCE (see
      below), to live alongside the Myceneans ( I suspect they were the
      true Minoans who ruled from Crete).

      May I add that I have a special interest in the Cyprian scripts, and
      my ideas are being presented gradually at:

      http://collesseum.googlepages.com/

      <Cyprus scripts> has tables of syllabograms, showing how the signs
      developed from Cretan Linear A through to the Iron Age syllabary that
      was replaced by the Greek alphabet.

      <Cyprian Name List> These assigned values enable us to find Semitic
      and Hurrian names in a list from Ugarit.
      <Cyprian weight> TEKELO = ThQL/ShQL (shekel)
      <Enkomi cylinder> with a name SARIZETI and the sequence MALIKI (king?)

      So there was a Canaanite (Proto-Phoenician!) presence in Cyprus in the
      Bronze Age, as also in Crete (Cyrus Gordon, Jan Best, and others).

      Brian Colless
      Massey U, NZ