10028Re: ink from a Dead Sea Scroll made near the Dead Sea

  • dastacey62
    Mar 3 1:24 AM
      Most of these dams are, are they not, on a fairly minor scale and
      would not have had to withstand the sort of terrific force present
      in flash floods as they thunder down Nahal Qumran. The power of such
      flash floods is an awesome sight. The dam at Qumran would have been 4
      or 5 metres high and would have needed to have walls at least 3m
      thick at the base. Yet it probably needed some sort of sluice system
      to, if necessary, relieve the pressure of the initial torrent. This
      required considerable hydrological knowledge and was not your average
      agricultural installation.

      David Stacey
      -
      -- In ANE-2@yahoogroups.com, "theodc25" <chesnut@...> wrote:

      > Quite close to Qumran, is the Buqe'ah Valley which has substantial
      > evidence of intensive agricultural production including dams,
      > terraces, and walls built for pools. The major sites in valley are
      > Khirbet Abu Tabaq, Khirbet es-Samrah, and Khirbet el-Maqari
      partially
      > excavated by Cross and Milik, and further research was done by
      Stager.
      > The sites, terracing, and dams are all dated around the 8th/7th
      > century BCE based on lmlk jars and other pottery found at the
      sites.

      > It has been suggested that much of this area was reused in the 3rd
      > cent BCE-1st cent CE, because of the close proximity of Hyrcania, a
      > Roman road running through the valley to Qumran, and some late
      > Hellenistic/early Roman pottery that was found at the forts. Also I
      > thought there were dams around Masada?
      >
      > Owen Chesnut
      > Ph.D. Candidate
      > Andrews University
      >

      > --- In ANE-2@yahoogroups.com, "dastacey62" <DAVID.STACEY63@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Well Joe, that's odd - there are no major dams at Masada or
      Jericho
      > > where you say they are necessary, and in fact the only two major
      > > Second Temple dams are in Caesarea and Jerusalem where you say
      they
      > > are unnecessary... curioser and curiouser
      > >
      > > David Stacey
      > >
      > > UK
      > > --- In ANE-2@yahoogroups.com, "Joe Zias" <joezias@> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > David Stacey on the subject of dams in antiquity writes "If it
      was
      > > all so
      > > > easy why didn't every Tom, Dick or Harry build dams all over
      the
      > > country?"
      > > > The answer is simple, in the desert areas where rain fall is
      > > minimal as in
      > > > Masada, Qumran and Jericho, dams are necessary to collect
      runoff
      > > from higher
      > > > elevations. In areas where there is adequate seasonal rainfall
      or
      > > springs,
      > > > such as Jerusalem, Caesarea, Beit Shean ect, they are
      unnecessary.

      > > > Joe Zias

      Dead
      > > Sea
      > > >

      > > > So Joe, Building a dam 4 to 5 m high, with walls on average
      perhaps
      > > > 2.5 m thick, perhaps with foundations cut into the bedrock, was
      all
      > > > bit of a doddle. The fact that no trace of it has survived the
      > > floods
      > > > of the past 2000 years indicates the forces it had to
      withstand. If
      > > > it was all so easy why didn't every Tom, Dick or Harry build
      dams
      > > all
      > > > over the country? The fact is that only Herod seems to have had
      the
      > > > necessary knowledge and resources which he put to use in his
      two
      > > > prestigious city water systems; for the high-level aqueduct at
      > > > Caesarea, and the Wadi el-Biyar dam in the Solomons Pool system
      > > > outside Jerusalem.
      > > > David Stacey
      > > >
      > > > --- In ANE-2@yahoogroups.com <mailto:ANE-2%40yahoogroups.com> ,
      Joe
      > > Zias

      > > > following::The only dams from the Second Temple period of which
      > > am

      > > integral

      > > > had

      > > > 8th millineum BC the folks in Jericho were already constructing
      > > dams.
      > > > For the folks in Qumran I doub't if this was any mean feat,
      some
      > > > 8,000 yrs later.

    • Show all 20 messages in this topic